Sunday 18 November 2012

I do these things so you don't have to.

I like to think that I have an enquiring mind. I also have a slightly left-of-normal way of looking at the world. This means that over the years I’ve conducted numerous experiments that, on reflection, were not a good idea.
 Or if you put it another way, every now and again I feel this weird compulsion to do dumb shit.
Let’s have a look at a few shall we?

 (Aged 5, standing beside a river somewhere.)
Question: I wonder if I can catch that fish using my foot as bait?
Result:  I’m a bit vague on events but next thing I knew, I was underwater and desperately trying to develop the ability to swim.
Conclusion: Any idea a 5 year old comes up with while in the presence of large bodies of water is going to be a dumb one.  Also, fish definitely have a sense of humour because while almost-drowning I distinctly remember looking down and seeing the scaly little git laughing his gills off.

(Aged 7)
Question:  Can I make a double-decker sandwich?
Result: Since my chosen ingredients were fried bacon and Golden syrup  the end  product was a sticky, greasy mess.
Conclusion: Dumb idea. But apparently Elvis loved bacon & strawberry jam butties. I have bacon. I have strawberry jam. I may revisit this one.

(Age: Old enough to know better.)
Question:  Can you tenderize a steak by putting it in a carrier bag and banging it against the wall? 
Result: The bag split on the backswing and my tea sailed off into the overgrown mess that was our back garden.
Conclusion:  Poor choice of tools. Also, a steak is surprisingly hard to find in long grass.

(Age: As above)
Question: What happens if you add leftover baked beans to scrambled eggs?
Result: A plate of pink shit on toast and I spent the next day farting like a bison,
Conclusion; Some things should never be  combined. I can also offer definitive proof that you cannot actually fart your own arse off. But dear gods, there were moments when I was worried. 

(Age: 19ish.)
Question: What happens if I have a pint of cider, drink half of it, add a half of Bitter to the glass then drink half of that  then add a half-pint of Guinness… and  repeat for every tap on the bar.
Result: I got so drunk I tried to pick a fight with God Himself, redecorated my bedroom in vomit and woke up the next day praying for the mercy of death.
Conclusion; Clearly I’m allergic to Guinness and I haven’t touched the bloody stuff since.    

(Age: early 30s and just got my own Internets)
Question: What is this goatse thing I keep hearing about?
Result: I googled it. Then I googled it again with the safety filters off. What I saw that day haunts me still.
Conclusion: When the entire internet is telling you to stay clear maybe you should take the hint. 

(Age: Last winter)
Question: There’s about three inches of snow on the ground. Wonder what it feels like to walk through it barefoot?
Result: For the first minute or so it was rather exhilarating and  I was standing there thinklng “Rargh. I am all that is Man!”. After that - not a fun  experience. I particularly loved the part where I started to lose the feeling in my toes
Conclusion: The brief moment where you feel like Conan Of Cimmeria is really not worth the severe discomfort or the ten minutes you will spend  trying to rub the life back into your feet.

That's it for now. See you next time.

4 comments:

  1. "I got so drunk I tried to pick a fight with God Himself."-love that line. You described these "dumbass" moments so hilariously it was worth having them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love those wonderful moments in life where you realize there was an error in your calculations. The one about the internet thing, yeah...I've seen too many things that will haunt me forever.... Like the time I downloaded a music video, and it turned out to be a shizza film.... *convulses*

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was married -- in another lifetime -- we moved in with my ex's in-laws to save money. I wrote a chapter/story about it in my book and have been trying to come up with a title for it for years now. Just yesterday I had the idea to call it, "Whose Idea Was This?"

    What a fun post this is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who's stuck scissors in my eye at age two, accidentally overdosed on prescription speed (my dad was a psychiatrist and drug companies back in the 60s actually sent docs samples of controlled substances) I found in the bathroom cabinet, also at age two, and broke my clavicle trying to fly from the top of the staircase, again, at age two, I can definitely relate! Unfortunately, my stupidity didn't end at age two...Thanks for this delightfully fun post...it's always good to have a laugh at ourselves, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

#HeavyMetal (246) #TheMetalProject (228) Advice (2) Airboy (2) aircraft (27) album covers (115) Alestorm (2) Andrew j Offutt (1) angels (1) anime (22) AOR (10) art and stuff (28) Attractive women. (98) B-reaction (1) Barbarion (1) Beasty Girls (1) Big D is going to lose his temper in a minute. (4) Big D talks bollocks (36) Big D talks bollocks. (38) Big D talks bollocks. aircraft (2) Black Metal (3) blatant fanservice (154) blatant plug (5) BOLOS (1) Books (50) Boston Wrestling 1964 (1) British comics (21) bunny (1) Buses (3) Captain America (1) carrier bags (1) cars (2) cartoons (12) Catgirl Nuku Nuku (1) Catwoman (1) Change 123 (1) Charleston wrestling 1964 (1) Cheapo DVD Review (75) Children (1) Chingford (1) Christmas (4) Clouds (1) comics (31) Dale rambles about stuff. (1) David Gibbins (1) Dejah Thoris (1) dinosaurs (13) dogs (2) doing stuff badly. (1) Dragonforce (1) dreams (1) DUKW (1) DVD artists are lying bastards (23) Elvis impersonators (1) Eric Roberts will work for food (3) European wrestling 1964 (1) eurovision (20) eurovision Metal Contest (6) fantasy (9) Fathers Day (1) female cyborgs (1) Film (158) films (50) First Squad (1) gardening (1) German Comics (3) Getting started. (1) Ghosts (1) gig (3) Goolie abuse (4) gorgons (1) Grappling Gertie (4) Green Lantern (1) Guest post (2) Hard Gay (1) Harley Quinn (1) Hawkgirl (1) Heavy Metal Artwork Blog (121) Heavy Metal Blog (96) Heavy Metal Cover Girls (95) History (3) Horror (31) Islamic Metal (1) Judge Anderson (2) Kobra And The Lotus. (1) Lawnmower Deth (2) Lesbian Bed Death (2) List (16) Lords Of The Trident (3) Manga (11) marrow fighting (1) Martial Arts (14) Maryland wrestling 1964 (1) massive shoulderpads (1) Matthew Reilly (2) men's issues (6) Merlin (1) metal (329) Metal Christmas (1) Metal songs about metal (229) mimi hagiwara (1) MinamICon (1) Mind Wars (1) models (19) monkeys (2) Monsters Of Rock (2) MRAs (1) museums (8) music (31) music from the weird aprt of Youtube (3) music from the weird part of Youtube (2) music that gets under my skin. (2) Neil Peart RIP. (1) Nice cover (2) Nicholas Eames. (1) Night Fighters (1) Nightside (1) Noot noot (1) NWOBHM (3) Oatcakes (1) Olympics (1) photos (3) pinup (1) ponies (6) Portsmouth (13) Power Girl (2) power metal (1) puroresu (2) Rain (1) rant (19) Redheads (7) Roswell Conspiracies (2) rules (2) Sci-Fi (46) sexy witches (6) shame about the book. (2) Sharktopus (1) Sigismund (1) silliness (1) Southsea (15) Southsea Food Festival 2022 (1) spiders (1) Spitfires (4) Sport is bollocks (1) Starblazer (1) Stockings (1) Storm Eunice 2022 (1) Story (9) Strike Witches (1) Strip magazine (1) Stuff with armoured cars (1) Stuff with axemurdering lumberjacks (1) Stuff with B36 Bombers (1) Stuff with big flying lizards (12) Stuff with Black Metal Catgirls (1) Stuff with blokes in kilts. (2) stuff with cute banshees. (2) Stuff with enormous birds (1) Stuff With Flying Fruit (1) Stuff with Giant Crabs. (3) Stuff with giant Germans singing about sausage. Music from the weird part of Youtube. (1) Stuff with Girls In Eyepatches (3) Stuff with Gladiators (8) stuff with kickboxing teachers. (1) Stuff with killer cricketers (1) Stuff with Killer Rabbits (1) stuff with killer snails (1) Stuff With Killer Unicorns (1) stuff with Maoris (1) Stuff with mermaids (1) Stuff with Nazi Vampires (3) Stuff with Ninjas (3) Stuff with Psycho Coppers (1) Stuff with Robot Maids (1) Stuff with Roller Derby (1) stuff with rollerskating Muses (1) Stuff with soulsucking mummies. (2) Stuff with strippers (3) Stuff with talking statues (2) Stuff with Vikings (3) Stuff with violent clowns (1) Stuff With Walking Fish (2) Stuff with weird Kiwis (1) Stuff with werewolves (5) Stuff with Wolves (1) stuffed animals (1) Stupid films about sharks (10) Synthwave (4) tanks (5) Tarkan (1) Taya Valkyrie (1) Terrible Metal Album Covers (28) Terrible songs (1) Terry Pratchett. (1) The Band (1) The Hangover pt 2 (1) The Lost Fleet (1) The Metal Project (226) Thundercats (1) Ticket Tales. (1) Top Ten (6) Toy soldiers (9) Truffle (1) Turkish films (2) Ultimate Metal Playlist (9) Valentine (2) Valkyrie (2) Vampires (8) videos (1) voyager (1) War Films (4) Warships (1) weird crushes (5) weird shit (7) White Pigeon (1) women in blindfolds (2) Women with Scythes (1) women with spears (5) women with swords (52) women with wings (7) women's wrestling (50) womens wrestling comics (13) womens' wrestling movies. (1) Wrestling (33) Wrestling Books (5) Wrestling Magazines (15) wrestling October 1964 (1) WTF? Japan (10) WW2 (1) Yamato (2) you do this shit deliberately don't you? (1) Zombie Films (6)