Tuesday 16 December 2014

Confessions Of A Terrible Modelmaker (pt 3)

 In which I finally get this bloody kit finished


Building the AZ Models F6U Pirate
Clothes pegs are an essential part of my modelling kit.

 Don't ask me why but I really like wingtip tanks on jet fighters. Obviously that only works on straight-winged aircraft. This might explain why fighters after about the mid-50s don't interest me all that much. 
 There's a few exceptions - I have a soft spot for the Hawker Hunter and the English Electric Lightning - but most modern fighters leave me cold. Too mechanical and not enough beauty.

 Isn't that a weird thing to say about a machine designed for killing? Aircraft buffs will get it, I think. 

Anyway, after a bit of filing and brute force, I managed to jam the wingtip tanks on to the ends of the wings, slipped the colourful little finlets onto the tail and continued slapping bits of paint on when I was feeling artistic. 


 I was hoping I could pass the patchiness off as "Weathering". I was also planning on throwing the box away so nobody could compare the box art to my hamfisted efforts.   

 Now the moment I was dreading. Sticking the canopy on. 

 I had to paint it first. Did I mention that I'm longsighted, shortsighted and quite possibly middlesighted as well? And that I have the fine motor control of a drunken rhino?
  By using the tiniest brush I had - while deploying an old sock to mop away the stray splotches - I ended up with something not-too-rubbish. 
  Much to my amazement the canopy went on first time without me dropping it, accidentally glueing it to the tailfin or smearing glue across 70% of the clear bits. 
 There were a few gaps but in a recurring theme, I was hoping nobody looks too closely.

They aren't gaps.
They're, um, air conditioning vents.

 The instructions had a nice clear diagram showing where all the little aircraft-handling warning labels were supposed to go ("Do not stick head in this bit" and whatnot) and if I'd actually been able to find a sheet with said warning labels on, I might have used them. 
 I'll never know if I accidentally threw that bit away or AZ Models didn't bother including it. Oh well.

  Right from the start I'd wanted to go with the El Salvadorean version of this kit, seeing as I've never, ever seen any other model in for that Air Force.
  Something else I find fascinating -  the smaller air forces from around the world. Places like Finland and Chile end up with all sorts of interesting things and hang on to them long after the Brits and USA have moved on to the newest shiny toys. 

 Back to the decals. A process that was going well until the fin-flashes decided to do that thing where they fold in half and then stick together like atomic welding. After swearing a bit, then swearing some more I trimmed away the knackered bits and dug some leftovers out of the biscuit tin I keep my spares in. 

 I was feeling quite pleased with myself until I remembered that there were some aerials that needed to go on. Tiny, tiny bits of fiddly, fiddly metal with absolutely no guide holes to make the job easier.
 Thanks again for that design element, AZ. 
  One snapped in half, one went ping as I snipped it free and almost went up my nose before vanishing and the last one, the one that had to go on the tailfin, was an absolute bastard to put on. 
 It took some deep breathing exercises and a gigantic blob of Loctite before I got it mounted. 

 I don't know why I bothered. The bloody thing will almost certainly fall off next time I pick up the Pirate and fly it around the kitchen making Neeeaaawww noises  dust it. 

 So here's the finished product. Whaddya think?

 And a close up. 
model aircraft El Salvador Air Force

 To sum up. Frustrating, time-consuming and almost certainly serious modelmakers are looking at my efforts and laughing their bollocks off. 
 But I'm glad I did it.

 That's all folks. 

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah!
    You're not kidding those fucking transfers are a total bastard, I used to hate doing all the decals on the finished models. It may have been why I eventually resorted to destruction over aesthetic perfection. We took to slapping the main bits of plastic together as quickly as possible and then, having sealed the seams and plugged up any holes with putty, we'd fill them with petrol (don't try this at home) and light the fuse of the "rookie" crow scaring banger strapped to the side of the fuselage and at a precisely calculated (and stupidly dangerous) moment, fire the entire contraption across the local golf course from a Black Widow catapult.
    The resulting explosions were extremely impressive and only got us (nearly) arrested once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My inner 12 year old asked me to tell you "That sounds AWESOME"
      I kinda wish I'd done this with some of mine.
      I did set fire to a couple, mind you.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

#HeavyMetal (246) #TheMetalProject (228) Advice (2) Airboy (2) aircraft (27) album covers (115) Alestorm (2) Andrew j Offutt (1) angels (1) anime (22) AOR (10) art and stuff (28) Attractive women. (98) B-reaction (1) Barbarion (1) Beasty Girls (1) Big D is going to lose his temper in a minute. (4) Big D talks bollocks (36) Big D talks bollocks. (38) Big D talks bollocks. aircraft (2) Black Metal (3) blatant fanservice (154) blatant plug (5) BOLOS (1) Books (49) Boston Wrestling 1964 (1) British comics (21) bunny (1) Buses (3) Captain America (1) carrier bags (1) cars (2) cartoons (12) Catgirl Nuku Nuku (1) Catwoman (1) Change 123 (1) Charleston wrestling 1964 (1) Cheapo DVD Review (75) Children (1) Chingford (1) Christmas (4) Clouds (1) comics (31) Dale rambles about stuff. (1) David Gibbins (1) Dejah Thoris (1) dinosaurs (13) dogs (2) doing stuff badly. (1) Dragonforce (1) dreams (1) DUKW (1) DVD artists are lying bastards (23) Elvis impersonators (1) Eric Roberts will work for food (3) European wrestling 1964 (1) eurovision (20) eurovision Metal Contest (6) fantasy (9) Fathers Day (1) female cyborgs (1) Film (158) films (50) First Squad (1) gardening (1) German Comics (3) Getting started. (1) Ghosts (1) gig (3) Goolie abuse (4) gorgons (1) Grappling Gertie (4) Green Lantern (1) Guest post (2) Hard Gay (1) Harley Quinn (1) Hawkgirl (1) Heavy Metal Artwork Blog (121) Heavy Metal Blog (96) Heavy Metal Cover Girls (95) History (3) Horror (31) Islamic Metal (1) Judge Anderson (2) Kobra And The Lotus. (1) Lawnmower Deth (2) Lesbian Bed Death (2) List (16) Lords Of The Trident (3) Manga (11) marrow fighting (1) Martial Arts (14) Maryland wrestling 1964 (1) massive shoulderpads (1) Matthew Reilly (2) men's issues (6) Merlin (1) metal (329) Metal Christmas (1) Metal songs about metal (229) mimi hagiwara (1) MinamICon (1) Mind Wars (1) models (19) monkeys (2) Monsters Of Rock (2) MRAs (1) museums (8) music (31) music from the weird aprt of Youtube (3) music from the weird part of Youtube (2) music that gets under my skin. (2) Neil Peart RIP. (1) Nice cover (2) Nicholas Eames. (1) Night Fighters (1) Nightside (1) Noot noot (1) NWOBHM (3) Oatcakes (1) Olympics (1) photos (3) pinup (1) ponies (6) Portsmouth (13) Power Girl (2) power metal (1) puroresu (2) Rain (1) rant (19) Redheads (7) Roswell Conspiracies (2) rules (2) Sci-Fi (45) sexy witches (6) shame about the book. (2) Sharktopus (1) Sigismund (1) silliness (1) Southsea (15) Southsea Food Festival 2022 (1) spiders (1) Spitfires (4) Sport is bollocks (1) Starblazer (1) Stockings (1) Storm Eunice 2022 (1) Story (9) Strike Witches (1) Strip magazine (1) Stuff with armoured cars (1) Stuff with axemurdering lumberjacks (1) Stuff with B36 Bombers (1) Stuff with big flying lizards (12) Stuff with Black Metal Catgirls (1) Stuff with blokes in kilts. (2) stuff with cute banshees. (2) Stuff with enormous birds (1) Stuff With Flying Fruit (1) Stuff with Giant Crabs. (3) Stuff with giant Germans singing about sausage. Music from the weird part of Youtube. (1) Stuff with Girls In Eyepatches (3) Stuff with Gladiators (8) stuff with kickboxing teachers. (1) Stuff with killer cricketers (1) Stuff with Killer Rabbits (1) stuff with killer snails (1) Stuff With Killer Unicorns (1) stuff with Maoris (1) Stuff with mermaids (1) Stuff with Nazi Vampires (3) Stuff with Ninjas (3) Stuff with Psycho Coppers (1) Stuff with Robot Maids (1) Stuff with Roller Derby (1) stuff with rollerskating Muses (1) Stuff with soulsucking mummies. (2) Stuff with strippers (3) Stuff with talking statues (2) Stuff with Vikings (3) Stuff with violent clowns (1) Stuff With Walking Fish (2) Stuff with weird Kiwis (1) Stuff with werewolves (5) Stuff with Wolves (1) stuffed animals (1) Stupid films about sharks (10) Synthwave (4) tanks (5) Tarkan (1) Taya Valkyrie (1) Terrible Metal Album Covers (28) Terrible songs (1) Terry Pratchett. (1) The Band (1) The Hangover pt 2 (1) The Lost Fleet (1) The Metal Project (226) Thundercats (1) Ticket Tales. (1) Top Ten (6) Toy soldiers (9) Truffle (1) Turkish films (2) Ultimate Metal Playlist (9) Valentine (2) Valkyrie (2) Vampires (8) videos (1) voyager (1) War Films (4) Warships (1) weird crushes (5) weird shit (7) White Pigeon (1) women in blindfolds (2) Women with Scythes (1) women with spears (5) women with swords (52) women with wings (7) women's wrestling (50) womens wrestling comics (13) womens' wrestling movies. (1) Wrestling (33) Wrestling Books (5) Wrestling Magazines (15) wrestling October 1964 (1) WTF? Japan (10) WW2 (1) Yamato (2) you do this shit deliberately don't you? (1) Zombie Films (6)